CT vs MRI
Ever wondered what the difference is between CT and MRI scans? Both are scans from medical imaging machines that show you different things.
A CT Scan uses x-rays and computer generated images to show your organs, bones and tissues. It shows more detail than an x-ray, but not more than an MRI!
A CT Scan is usually used for:
- Bone Fractures
- Cancer Monitoring
- Discovering Internal Bleeding
An MRI creates pictures using radio waves and a magnet to generate images (don’t wear metal!). It shows more detail than a CT Scan, but does take longer to complete.
A MRI Scan is used to look at:
- Blood Vessels
What are CT and MRI scans used for?
- Circulation problems
- Abdominal abnormalities
- Urinary bleeding causes
- Lung issues
- Skeletal system problems
- Head conditions
- Breast cancer
- Joint abnormalities
- Blood vessel irregularities
- Brain problems
- Inflammatory bowel conditions
- Liver disease
- Bone disorders
MRI and CT Scans are both useful medical imaging tools. Ask your doctor which imaging tool would be best to help you. You can book your medical imaging here too!
What are the pros and cons of CT and MRI scans?
- Data can be assembled to form 3-D images. The images can pinpoint abnormalities in bone and soft tissues (ex.-pneumonia in lungs, tumors in organs or bone fractures)
- Can get images of entire body (neck to thigh in seconds)
- Great for diagnosing stages of cancer and looking at spread throughout body (metastases)
- Potential harm to unborn babies
- Small does of radiation
- Potential reaction to dyes
- Images can show the difference between normal and diseased tissue.
- Excels at showing prostate cancer, uterine cancer and some liver cancers.
- Metastases to bone and brain show up better on an MRI
- Reaction to metals
- Takes longer to complete
- Potential claustrophobia
MRI Scans and CT Scans are different! They both scan the body differently. MRI Scans and CT Scans create different types of images or different types of tissues. A CT Scan could take seconds to minutes, where an MRI can take minutes to hours. They even have different noise levels!
Ask your doctor today what type of medical imaging to get today! Here at Blue Rock Imaging we offer:
- CT Scans
- MRI Scans
Call (801) 229-2002 to book an appointment or consultation with us today.